Last updated: 21 May 2018
Air Astana respects your privacy and takes its responsibilities in regards to the protection of your personal data very seriously. You can rest assured that we continuously take steps to keep your personal data secure and ensure it is used only for legitimate purposes.
We will never wilfully disclose personal information about you to any third party other than to process your order without first receiving your permission or unless we are under a legal obligation to do so.
You can always enquire about or check the information that you have given us or request to delete all your personal information by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Controller of Personal Data
If you have made a flight booking with us but one or more flights are to be provided by other airline(s) then that other airline will also separately be considered a “data controller.”
Any provider of services such as a hotel or car rental company, or event ticket provider like Ticketon will also separately be a “data controller”. You can access the privacy policies of those providers from them directly.
Application of the Policy
Where we reference that others are data controllers in the sections ’Controller of Personal Information’ and ’Who do we share your personal information with?’ you should consult their privacy policies for further information.
Additional Terms and Conditions or policies may apply if you choose to receive additional services from us such as MyUPGRADE, MySEAT, MyWiFi, etc. or enter a competition linked to Air Astana and other third parties.
Our website may contain links to other websites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of websites not operated by us. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by us.
What Personal Data We Collect
Air Astana collects and uses your personal information for the sole purpose of delivering you the service you have requested and enhancing the quality of it by offering you the right product at the right time via the right channel.
Information we may collect includes:
- Personal information: full name, gender, title, date of birth, nationality, country of residence, passport or other personal identification numbers, visa information, photographs, videos, voice recordings;
- Contact information: address, phone number, email address, company name, business location;
- Payment information: credit or debit card information, including the name of cardholder, card number, issuing bank, billing address and expiry date. If you buy tickets for someone else, we may collect your billing information but may communicate with the passenger directly about their flight;
- Travel information: flight information, upgrades received, channel that you used to book your ticket (travel agent, website, etc.), dietary, seating or other service preferences, baggage requirements, travel companions; your preferences with respect to your travel on our flights and any pre-purchased item;
- Health information: medical records, health issues, or special service requests;
- Sensitive information: dietary preferences that may allude to your religious beliefs, medical records, health issues, racial or ethnic origin;
- Technical information: when you visit our websites or use one of our apps, we may register your IP address, MAC address, browser type, operating system, referring website, web-browsing behavior and app use; we may receive an automatic notification when you open a newsletter or click on a link in such newsletter; with your permission we may also receive your location data; you can also agree to provide us with access to certain data stored on your mobile phone (such as photos and contacts). For more information, please see below (cookies);
- Membership information: redemptions made, accruals obtained, membership details of Nomad Club and of any other loyalty programs;
- Communication information: your feedback and email correspondence with our call center, customer relations, etc.
- 8.2 Information you choose to share with us: You may choose to share information with us, for example when you leave a comment for us on Facebook, fill out a customer survey or submit an entry for a contest.
- Employment information: If you are an employee travelling or obtaining other products or services in relation to one of our corporate, business or government clients, we may also collect information about your role with the client, your employment type, your employee number, your start date with the client and details of any employer paid travel arrangement;
- Statistical information e.g., number of passengers flown, web usage data, the website you come from, internet banner advertisements and links which appear on our marketing partners’ websites, your searches and the content you have viewed on our website. This information will only be aggregated for statistical analysis so that we can better understand Air Astana’s customer profile, personalize your information and improve the service offering.
The failure to supply personal data may result in 1) Air Astana being unable to provide you with the services and/or products requested; 2) Air Astana being unable to update you on our latest products and/or launches; and/or 3) your inability to enter or participate in contests, promotions or redemption activities organised by Air Astana.
How We Collect Your Personal Data
We may collect personal information about you when/if you:
- book or search for a flight or other products or services on our website, mobile app/s or our other sales channels, such as through a travel agent;
- use our services or purchase our goods;
- register to receive our newsletters or other communications, opt-in for push- or in-app notifications in our mobile app/s;
- register to be part of one of our programs;
- tell us about your preferences when flying with us;
- fill out medical and other forms associated with your travel, such as medical clearance, claim or unaccompanied minor forms, etc.;
- enter into one of our competitions or promotions;
- contact our call centers, ticketing offices or service agents;
- travel with us, use airports where we operate and use our lounge facilities;
- complete one of our surveys or otherwise provide feedback or interact with us via including but not limited to our social media such as Facebook, Instagram, Vkontakte, Telegram or Twitter;
- apply for a position with Air Astana;
Whom We May Collect Your Personal Data from
As well as collecting information directly from you or from your authorised representatives (i.e. persons whom you have authorised or your authorised representative pursuant to our then-current security procedures), there may be occasions when we collect information about you from a third party. These third parties may include:
- Travel agents and other people who make or update travel bookings on your behalf, or otherwise interact with us on your behalf; this can be a family member, travel or sales agents, your employer or other representative as part of a corporate or group booking;
- Our service providers and contractors (such as ground handlers, cargo handlers, agencies, data analytics and market research providers, sales agencies, payment fulfilment and fraud protection providers);
- Third parties that run competitions and other promotions on our behalf or for which we are the sponsor;
- Companies involved in your travel, including airlines involved in your journey, relevant airport operators, immigration, customs, border security and other regulatory authorities, etc.;
- Our airline and non-airline partners, including travel insurance providers, car rental, transfer providers, hotels, including those that participate in our frequent flyer program and other customer programs;
- Recruitment agencies and previous employers, if you have applied for a job with us and provided your consent.
Why We Need Your Personal Data
Air Astana will only process your personal data where we have a legal, contract basis and/or your explicit consent to do so. Our legitimate interest as an airline is to use your personal data to operate and enhance the quality of our service as an airline and travel provider.
We need your personal data to:
- fulfill our agreement with you, including providing services to you such as processing a transaction (e.g., making a booking, sending you your itinerary), providing technical assistance, assisting you in the transaction, providing sms notifications or flight alert messages through Air Astana’s mobile app/s, facilitating web check-in and self check-in, registering for and administering Air Astana’s frequent flyer program, and responding to your enquiries or requests;
- provide airport services such as processing information relating to connecting flights, arrangements at airports, and customs and immigration facilities;
- provide baggage related services such as processing of any baggage related queries, including mishandled or missing baggage claims;
- provide in-flight catering and other services that best meet your preferences and needs (which we may collect during our interactions with you);
- administer any contest or promotional offer you may enter into and notify in case you win;
- market and communicate with you in relation to products and services offered by Air Astana and service partners, as well as Air Astana’s appointed agents;
- contact you for product or customer satisfaction surveys;
- to improve our services and personalize your travel experience through research and analytics, including market research;
- for safety, security and legal compliance;
- for crime prevention and detection.
If you are booking a flight on behalf of someone else, you must obtain their consent to use their personal information.
If processing of your data is subject to any other laws, then the basis of processing your data may be different to that set out above and may in those circumstances be based on your consent in all cases.
How You Can Control Your Personal Data
Whom We May Share Your Personal Data With
In order to facilitate your travel arrangements, we will often need to share your personal information with third parties including:
- other airlines (codeshare and interline partners);
- airport and airport lounge operators, ground handling services;
- in response to a valid, legal request from various law enforcement agencies, regulatory authorities and governments around the world and their service providers for security, customs and immigration purposes and to comply with our legal obligations;
- travel agents involved in making your travel arrangements;
- our frequent flyer program partners so that we can administer the benefits of the frequent flyer program to you;
- third parties who deliver services either to you or to us, such as companies that provide transfer assistance, billing services, catering services;
- companies who conduct market research and analysis, provide marketing services or run customer surveys on our behalf;
- companies who provide information technology services such as airline related systems, data storage, distribution services, passenger booking and processing systems, communication networks, software and system development, maintenance and support, and information processing, analysis and reporting;
- companies who provide services in the course of investigating a complaint or a security incident. police and regulatory authorities, to protect our rights, property, or the safety of our customers, staff and assets;
- if you are an employee of one of our corporate, business or government clients and are travelling for work purposes on a ticket purchased by your employer, we may also disclose your travel details and any information associated with your travel (such as incident reports) to your employer;
- credit and charge card companies, credit reference agencies and anti-fraud screening service providers to process payments and (where necessary) to carry out fraud-screening;
- third parties, such as law firms and law courts, to enforce or apply any contract with you;
- we may provide usage information (but not your personal details) to other websites so that they know that you have visited our websites.
- in accordance with Article L 237 -7 of French Homeland Security Code, please be informed that air carriers may transmit reservation, checking and boarding data collected from their passengers (API/PNR) to the French national public services and competent authorities for the purposes and under conditions as defined in the Decree N° 2014-1095 dated 26/09/2014, modified by decree 2018/714 dated August 3rd 2018.
We do not sell personal information to third parties.
How We Store Your Personal Data
We hold your personal information in electronic files and use third party information system providers who may have access to your personal information.
Air Astana will retain your personal data for as long as it is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected, the legal or business purposes of Air Astana, or as required by relevant laws.
At any time you may contact us at email@example.com to have your personal data withdrawn from our storage completely.
When destroying your personal data, we will take commercially reasonable and technically possible measures to make it irrecoverable or irreproducible in accordance with the applicable laws.
How We Protect Your Personal Data
We take necessary technical and organizational measures for the protection of the data we hold about you against wrongful access, accidental or deliberate manipulation, disclosing or destruction. This includes internal check of processes of gathering, storage and data processing and security measures, and also measures on maintenance of physical safety of the data for prevention of wrongful access to systems in which we store the personal data. Our security measures are being improved continuously as new technology develops.
We give access to the personal data only those workers, contractors and agents of Air Astana whom this information is necessary for operation, development and improvement of our services. These persons are contractually obliged to maintain the confidentiality of this information.
To ensure the security of your personal data information when you browse our website, SSK (Security Sockets Layer) with 128 Bit encryption technology, and when you book flights through www.airastana.com, TLS 1.2 encryption technology is used to transfer your data securely. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit/debit card number, so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet.
If your browser does not support TLS 1.2, we recommend you to update to the latest version of any browser to improve the security of transactions, otherwise the transmission of your personal information may not be protected and Air Astana disclaims any responsibility in this regard.
How You Can Keep Your Personal Data Safe and Secure
- Keep your booking reference confidential.
When you make a booking, you will be given a booking reference (a PNR, Passenger Name Record) and/or a ticket number. This will appear on the email confirmation or ticket of each person in your booking. You should keep your booking reference confidential at all times.
If you are traveling with others and would not like your individual booking details to be accessible by them, you may prefer to have each person make separate bookings, to be paid for individually.
- Keep your frequent flyer program details (i.e., Nomad Club membership number log-in details) confidential.
To make sure your access to our website and mobile app/s is secure, we recommend that you avoid sharing or communicating passwords to others. When you finish using our website and mobile app/s and/or your social media accounts (especially if these accounts are linked together) you should log out if others are able to access your computer or device, and especially when using a public device to access the web. This way, other users will not be able to access your personal data.
- Be aware of and protect yourself against Internet fraud and “phishing.”
There is an Internet fraud practice known as "phishing" which is the illegal gathering of personal information by deception. Unsolicited emails are sent to individuals from lists illegally gathered by a third party, and recipients are asked to enter or reconfirm bank or password details into a "cloned" or illegal copy web site.
For your protection, please be aware of the following guidance:
- You will only be asked for your card payment details if you wish to change or claim a refund of your booking or if payment for our additional services like MyUpgrade cannot be processed automatically. Our ticketing or Special Services team might ask for your bank details if they are going to credit your account directly, after you have raised a claim with us.
By using www.airastana.com and our mobile app/s, you agree that we can place cookies on your device and store and access cookies, IP addresses and use other methods in order to collect website usage data, and enhance your online experience.
This can include information about your use of the website, the browser and device type you are accessing it from and where you are in the world.
By visiting and using www.airastana.com you agree that Air Astana places cookies on your device.
A cookie is a small piece of information sent from a website that you visit or certain emails you open and temporarily stored in your web browser or the hard drive of your device. The browser then returns the cookie to the server the next time the page is referenced. Cookies allow a website to customize a visit and give you a better user experience when you return to the website.
- What Cookies Do We Use and Why?
Air Astana uses session, functional, advertisement/targeting and performance cookies on our website and mobile app/s for the following purposes:
To ensure the smooth and efficient work of our website and mobile app/s, including but not limited to:
• balancing website traffic to guarantee you receive consistent and reliable service;
• limiting traffic to key parts of the website in order to maintain performance levels;
- Ease of use
To make navigation in our website and mobile app/s easier for you, including but not limited to:
• remembering your language and country selections and presenting relevant content;
• keeping track of your Nomad Club membership number when you have logged in; and
• remembering your selected departure airport when booking a flight
To gather statistics on how you use, navigate and transact on our website and mobile app/s, including but not limited to:
• gathering feedback on your satisfaction through a survey; and
• gaining insight into how you use, navigate and transact on our websites so that we can make improvements to its usability.
To enable us to present appropriate messages to you, including but not limited to:
• allowing our website to serve up different versions of a page for marketing purposes;
• allowing third parties to display appropriate advertising and to track its effectiveness; and
• displaying of relevant messages, which offer a selection of products based on your viewing behaviour on our websites and other selected websites.
What Personal Information Do Cookies Collect?
Generally, a cookie will contain a string of text that contains information about the browser.
Some cookies we use may store more personal information about you. However, this can be done only if you yourself have provided our website with that personal information.
- How to Delete and Block Our Cookies?
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our website.
Internet browsers allow you to change your cookie settings. These settings are usually found in the 'options' or 'preferences' menu of your internet browser. In order to understand these settings, the following links may be helpful. Otherwise you should use the 'Help' option in your internet browser for more details.
Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
Cookie settings in Firefox
Cookie settings in Chrome
Cookie settings in Safari
- How to Withdraw Your Consent?
For further information about deleting or blocking cookies, please visit: http://www.aboutcookies.org/Default.aspx?page=2
Links to other websites
Due to the nature of our services, we may collect travel information, which may include personal information, about children when it is required to comply with the law, including local aviation or security regulations, or as otherwise required to provide transportation needs and services. We may retain personal information when required to provide transportation and related services to a child. We do not knowingly collect personal information directly from children – persons under the age of 18, or another age according to applicable law – other than when required to comply with the law or for safety and security reasons.
Air Astana cannot distinguish the age of persons who access and use its website and mobile app/s. If you are a parent or guardian of a minor (according to applicable laws) who has provided Air Astana with personal data without your knowledge and consent, you should contact Air Astana at firstname.lastname@example.org to remove the relevant personal data.
Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel and Yandex Metrics
Our website uses Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel and Yandex Metrics, web analysis services provided by Google, Inc., Facebook and Yandex LLC correspondingly. These services utilize “cookies” in order to track and analyse your use of www.airastana.com and to prepare reports on its activities (please refer to our cookies policy above). IP addresses collected by our Google Analytics are anonymized. For more details, please refer to Google, Facebook and Yandex’s Privacy Policies.
To opt out of Google Analytics, please use this link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
To opt out of Yandex.Metrics, please use this link: https://yandex.com/support/metrica/general/opt-out.xml
These opt outs are cookie-based, therefore, you may need to opt out again if you get a new device or if you erase your browsers cookie file.
For more information on Facebook Pixel please consult this website.
When you subscribe to receiving such communications as Air Astana’s electronic newsletter, you are giving Air Astana permission to use your email address for sending you the newsletter, and other mail such as surveys and news about special offers. You can subscribe to electronic newsletters via our Frequent Flyer Programme Nomad Club or on Subscribe to Specials Offers page at airastana.com.
If you wish to retract your permission for Air Astana and do not want to receive information by email, you can do so any time by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of the email.
For enquiries or complaints about the protection of your personal data by Air Astana, please email email@example.com, we will contact you at the latest within one month of receipt.
To view your personal information, have it corrected or submit a complaint about the use of your personal information by Air Astana, you may send your written response, accompanied by a copy of your proof of identity, to:
Air Astana JSC
4A, Zakarpatskaya Str.
+7 727 258 41 36